It is official, color is here to stay. I always like to say, “Just add a pop of color” but I do not say it lightly. Using color to put a stamp on your look is not only easy, but it’s on trend and at the same time become a classic solution to creating personal style.
Color blocking, pattern mixing and just being smart about color are sometimes hard during our busy week. We are thinking about meetings, and children and what is the next mean going to be but I am here to tell you that simplifying and adding color with confidence doesn’t have to end you up on the floor of your closet crying.
HERE ARE SOME TIPS TO SIMPLIFY YOUR STYLE AND ADD COLOR LIKE A PRO
- DO NOT OVER DO IT. Adding a colorful jacket to a simple outfit that is more neutral can give you a powerful piece that everyone will take notice. If you are a woman, try an all-neutral look (tan, black or gray) and then add a big bold colorful necklace. If you are a man, do the same with a tie. A unique piece to make you own the runway of your life.
- MIX AND MATCH. Color can come in a solid bold or even in patterns that can be mixed in a unique way to help your personal brand be creative and unique. Maybe think about a polka dot tie on top of a striped shirt. Or for a woman, add a striped blouse with a skirt that is striped in another direction complimenting each other for a show stopping head turning color blowout.
3. TIGHTS TIGHTS TIGHTS. Oh and SOCKS. SOCKS. SOCKS. I would never advocate for too much of over the top color. It has to be a perfect mix and sometimes that means just going a bit below the radar. Add some tights to a tired plain look or for men, a pair of signature socks. An all black soon with a neutral tie that incorporates a nice red polka dot can be perfectly paired with a pair of red socks. Come on guys don’t be scared put them on. The only time anyone might notice is if you are in a meeting, on the bus or sitting on the skyway heading downtown. And GIRLS you know how to do this. A pair of wonderful tights under that favorite plain skirt or dress. Adding a “pop of color” can be fun and invigorate any tired old look.
4. REFERENCE. I know you ladies like to pinterest. Now here is your assignment and for the guys too, get on Pinterest and type in “color trends in fashion” and you wont believe your eyes. GREAT ideas for every day. Look at reference when you are losing inspiration. It helps you think about what is in your closet closest to the looks that are on trend. Don’t be scared guys looking at this stuff is fun and only takes 10 minutes the night before your important meeting, or a high school reunion, you know you want to look good and you CAN DO IT. Also Pinterest is a great social media tool you can use to help set your own personal brand.
5. HAVE FUN. No one wants to cry in the closet and usually when you make it hard getting dressed, people will cry when they see you on the street. Make it fun, make it light and do something different. That’s why it’s called FASHION. OWN IT, WORK IT and everyone around you will take notice. You will probably land that job you have been looking for, meet that special someone you have longed for or even make a great impression on your current boss.
So all of that said, I hope I see you running around town in your stripes on plaids, bright colors on top of neutrals or something totally unexpected.
ADD COLOR LIKE YOU MEAN IT and you will LOOK LIKE A PRO.